Leaving the Band Behind

Band seniors participate in their senior night.

Avery Delwiche

Senior drum major Kiera Miller poses with her parents during her senior night. The band celebrated on September 30.

High school is four years full of memories, changes, and finding out what you want to do with your life. As the years go by, you gain more and more freedom to try new things out and become a new person.

Becoming a senior is bittersweet for most people. On one hand, you are starting over and becoming your own independent person. On the other, though, you are leaving behind people that you’ve known for years and the memories you’ve made with them.

For band seniors, they are leaving behind big shoes to be filled. Most of the marching band students are currently seniors and when graduation comes around, they will have to find new leaders to step up and take over. 

“I think we’re losing a lot of great musicians this year,” senior drum major Kiera Miller said. “But we’re also leaving behind a lot of potential so I’m excited to see how all that plays out,”

It will be a change for everyone and it affects the whole band. Due to COVID, these seniors missed out on their junior year and were thrown into their senior year.

“It’s kind of surreal,” Miller said. “I don’t feel like I should be graduating yet. I still feel like a sophomore.”

Many of them have been in band for half of their lives for many reasons. Marching band is an experience that leaves people with times that they will look back on for years.

“I really enjoy marching band,” Miller said. “I wouldn’t be the same person without it.”

Graduation for these seniors is a stressful time especially since they missed out on a year of high school. Some are ready and some aren’t sure what they’re going to do after graduation.

“Looking back, I wish I would’ve been more involved and stepped out of my comfort zone,” Miller said. “You shouldn’t be afraid to try new things, that’s what high school is for.”