Monarchs Fall to Dragons in Close Contest

Gretna edges out PLHS 1-0 with a late goal.
JOSEPHINE TWOREK
Junior Izzy Ashby passes the ball to a teammate, setting her up to score a goal

This past Friday the lady Monarchs traveled to Gretna territory to take on the Dragon’s soccer team. The game was kept close but ended in a zero to one loss in the final minutes of the game.

The game began as a personal one after losing to Gretna in the first round of state last year with some doubting their ability to pull off a win.

“It was a really good matchup. Both teams were competing hard and we just came up short,” senior goalie Morgan Byrd said.

The ball stayed primarily in the middle of the field, switching possession frequently between the teams, both struggling to bring the ball down to the opposing side.

Towards the end of the first-half, Gretna is able to bring the ball down the field to the senior goalie, attempting to score when she saves the ball diving to catch it.

In an attempt to get the ball in the goal, Gretna offenders kicked at the ball, hitting Byrd in the mouth resulting in a knee having to be taken for the goalie, while the ball still remained in her hand, saving the goal.

“I passed out, and took a hit to the face in a collision in the box when making a save,” Byrd said.

At the end of half time the score for both teams remained at zero, taking 10 minutes to discuss new strategies to score.

As the second-half begins both teams work hard getting the ball further down the field then the first half.

In the last part of the second-half the Dragons are able to score a goal against the Monarchs, leaving the score at one to zero to finish off the game.

It was a tough fight by the Monarchs, but ultimately resulted in a win for the Dragons. However, the Monarchs look forward to playing them in the future for a chance at redemption.