Monarchs Give it Their All

The Varsity Girls soccer team puts their best foot forward in the second round of districts.
Liv Bain
Sophmore Emma Wasilewski sprints after the ball. The Monarchs defeated Omaha Central 4-0.

On Monday April 29th, the varsity girl’s soccer team traveled to Phelps Field at Westside to kick off their first district game. They upset the Warriors with a 1-0 lead which moved them onto the next round where they were to face Marian on Wednesday. The Monarchs held the team off for awhile but in the end lost 0-3.

The game against Westside was a tough one. Omaha World Herald Sports had betted against the odds of the Monarchs coming out on top so this affected the girls mindset. However, with 10 minutes left in the first half, junior Izzy Ashby overcame all odds and put the team ahead 1-0.

“It felt great to win since no one thought we were going to win besides us,” sophomore Emma Wasilewski said. “We just proved everyone wrong.”

The rest of the game was focused on defending. Together, the girls held off Westside from scoring and senior Morgan Byrd also contributed to this defense with three saves.

When the buzzer sounded at the end, the Monarchs had claimed victory and moved on to play Marian. Marian, who was 14-1, was favored by many to win but the girls did not let this get into their heads.

“I was focusing on positive affirmations toward myself and teammates and bringing the energy up even if others were doubtful,” sophomore Adeline Bosiljevac said.

Throughout the game the girls played aggressive and gave their all until the end. With the unfortunate loss, the girls season has concluded.

“Next year I am excited for the team environment and chemistry that we will have,” Wasilweski said. “I think we will have a good chance of going to state next year.”