Heart and Soul Goes to the Mall

There was once a time full of fluorescent colors, pop culture, and friends. The 80’s to early ‘90’s brought in a new era of life. 40 years later, a group of around 49 took a journey back to this decade. They came here to shop and they came here to flirt- it’s PLHS Heart and Soul!

Heart and Soul is one of the three show choirs at Papillion-LaVista High School. This year, they put together a fun-filled show based off of the nostalgic time period of the 90’s.

“It’s the teenage girl life of living in the 90’s,” freshman Caroline Williams said. “Television, and going to the mall, and tracksuits.” 

Similar to previous years, many freshmen were newly introduced to the concept of high school show choir. The first season of competitions and performances entailed new beginnings.

“It was really scary at first,” freshman Gabrielle Rodriguez said. “There weren’t a lot of people that I knew.”

However, the first impressions of participating in Heart and Soul had a positive effect on these students. 

“It was like musical theater, but like small, traveling musical theater,” Williams said. “I fell in love with the idea.”

It turns out that there is more than just dancing and singing in show choir. There are many outside tasks and hard work that need to be pursued.

“We have to stay on task,” Rodriguez said. “So there’s sometimes where it gets a little scary and a little stressful.”

One of the interesting components of show choir is the competition season. Students get to travel to not only perform their best and potentially be awarded, but to also build stronger relationships with one another. 

“I can definitely do so much more,” Rodriguez said. “It’s a lot of fun to watch a bunch of shows, walk around with my friends and get to know them better, and cheer on your friends.”

In any sport or activity, setting and achieving goals helps participants stay motivated to continue what they do and improve. This idea applies to show choir as well.

“My goal is to get into Free Spirit as a sophomore,” Williams said.

After a season of competing, hard work, bonding, and fun, students reflect on the events of last season.

“It’s so much fun to see how far you’ve come,” Rodriguez said. “You get to meet so many people and make so many new friends. It’s just a very fun and friendly environment.”

“It is time consuming, but it’s totally worth it,” Williams said. “By the end of the season, you’re just ready for another one.”

From shopping trips to telephone calls, PLHS show choir Heart and Soul really did put their heart and soul into this last season and will continue to do so.