A Deeper Look

First year Health Academy students visit Bryan College to learn more about the school and healthcare field.
Josephine Tworek
Junior Nora Gunn learned and practiced how to intubate a fake patient.

On April 17, year one Papillion Health Academy students took a trip to Bryan College of Health Sciences to take a deeper look at their health programs and what opportunities they provide. On this field trip the students participated in different activities and learned about what benefits the school has to offer. 

While touring the college, junior Emma Binkley had the chance to experiment and practice with different medical tools. These hands-on opportunities help her learn more about what the healthcare field has to provide.

“We looked at different tools that respiratory therapists use, cadavers, and simulation mannequins,” Binkley said. “ My favorite part was using the laparoscopic surgery tools.”

For Binkley, this field trip not only provided a fun, unique experience but it also impacted her future in a positive way. 

“I think seeing the surgery tools definitely helped me know what I want to do with my career,” Binkley said. “It was really fun to see that.”

Bryan College of Health Sciences goal for this visit was to expose the young students to what college can look like. Junior Nora Gunn experienced what a college student may practice while in school. 

“My favorite part was delivering a baby,” Gunn said. “Bryan has simulation mannequins that can birth babies and help students practice for their careers.”

Bryan College provides numerous opportunities to allow students to have the best education possible. One way they do this is with a cadaver. Anatomy students use them to learn the different parts of the human body. 

“We got to go and see how the medical students use cadavers for their classes,” Gunn said. 

The Health Academy students were also able to participate in a lab with the cadavers.

“We were literally able to hold a human heart and lungs,” Gunn said. “It was cool seeing the open cadaver.”

This field trip for the year one Health Academy Students was an overall great experience. It showed them what Bryan College offers and how to set them up for the future.