Back In Gear

As school starts back up so do clubs.
Katie Wittrig
Spanish Club members gather together to create arts and crafts.

The start of a new school year means more opportunities to get involved, and that is exactly what students at PLHS are doing. 

At PLHS, there is a wide variety of clubs to choose from and a lot of students who participate in these clubs. There are no limits to these experiences, and for some people, clubs are what bring them joy during their highschool careers. 

It is never too late to join an extracurricular activity, but junior Max Yeshnowski has been in the club Circle of Friends, a club that strives for inclusion, since the beginning.

“I’ve been in Circle of Friends for three years,” Yeshnowski said. “I started my freshman year.”

As clubs kick back up again, so do new hopes and dreams. 

“This year I want to accomplish even more inclusion,” Yeshnowski said. “Last year we won a banner for being a unified inclusion school and this year I want to honor that and continue to spread the #inclusionrevolution.”

Clubs offer opportunities to make new friends and get students out there who may struggle with socializing. Helping others is also a main part of what clubs do and it just might be the cherry on top to getting involved in clubs. 

“I love helping everyone get out of their shell,” Yeshnowski said. “It makes me happy to know I’m helping, especially students with social anxiety and awkwardness make friends and find their voice.” 

What can also make a club exciting is the lack of stress involved. Clubs are meant to be fun, and for a student in the Spanish Club, that is exactly what makes the club.

“It’s fun,” senior Sandhra Jose said. “It’s not a commitment that everyone has to make.”

Clubs are filled with activities of all kinds.Whether it is a game or a simple get to know you, these activities bring excitement to the group.

“I’m most excited to do Trivia,” Jose said. “Games are always really fun in clubs.”

Spanish Club’s goal for this school year is to get a good community of students involved, and, most importantly, have fun. 

“I’m hoping we can have more consistent meetings and more members,” Jose said. 

Although clubs are associated with the school, that does not mean all the activities have to be at school.

“I’m most excited for the after school activities,” Yeshnowski said. “Especially Bellevue Berry Farm because that one is always so fun.”

Whether it is joining Spanish Club or Circle of Friends, countless students are getting involved and getting excited about what this school year has in store for them.