Trend Takeover

Students spend large amounts of money on items to help them “fit in.”

Kendra Scott and Lululemon have become more popular because of their quality. Many students have chose to buy these products.

It’s officially 2019, and although 2018 may be over, the trends are never ending.

We started the year off with the world record egg that went viral in less than the first 20 days of the new year. With over 50 million likes, the egg dominates the previously most liked picture on Instagram, which was Kylie Jenner’s photo of her daughter at 18 million likes. 

Although it is pretty impressive how quickly this became popular, the absurdity of some trends that have emerged within this year is making many people question how far one will go to “fit in.” 

The idea of “fitting in,” or conformity, is what many students live by during their high school years. Whether it means changing their style or going out of their way to buy overpriced items, this is a concept that has stuck with many.

Let’s face it, we have created entire memes out of trends, and then more memes about the conformity to these trends; the amount of excessive amount of people who came back from their winter break with Apple AirPods is a leading example. While may people use them to their liking, others will purchase them just to meet the expectations of others.  

Not only are AirPods a huge controversial fascination right now, Lululemon leggings and Kendra Scott jewelry have also made a big appearance in the past few months. 

Opinions vary throughout the school of whether or not their costly prices are worth it or if it is not only a waste of money, but also time. Junior Alayna Saint believes that the prices are unreasonable. 

“I really don’t care for those products that much,” Saint said. “Lululemon leggings are high quality leggings, but for a much cheaper price, you can find the same leggings at different stores.” 

Kendra Scott necklaces have also been proven to be increasingly popular among students. The jewelry costs anywhere from 35 to 70 dollars, depending on the type and style you purchase. Saint’s view on Kendra’s products revolves around the same idea of overpricing. 

“I think Kendra Scott has really pretty things,” Saint said. “But I also think, along with AirPods and Lululemon leggings, their jewelry is overpriced.” 

Whether or not these items are high quality is not the issue; they are overpriced. With AirPods at around 160 dollars and Lululemon leggings at around 100 dollars, it is safe to say there is too much of a hype over them.